Gender Equality - PressforProgress

Today is the International Women's Day and i attended an event at my workplace.  We had a very dynamic female speaker who spoke very well how she made it to the top. From hardship to flying high..from rags to riches. I wonder if she told the whole truth on how she got to become the VP.  I sometimes feel people tell  the nice stuff and don't share the actual reason for their  journey upward in the corporate world. Interestingly she did not speak of gender equality and issues faced in her journey.  She never mentioned once that she had to fight very hard with her male counter parts, or did not mention any gender issues on her being treated differently within her family or her society that she grew up in. I am guessing if someone dont face such challenges when they are growing up, maybe the path upward anywhere is  made less difficult.

This event and this talk triggered some of my childhood memories on how i had to challenge stereotype and gender bias beliefs. Especially  someone who has no strong  social or family support tend to be victim of gender bias. People were not afraid of back slashing me or spreading rumors about me as i was a strong working women who did a lot  of things myself  way back in the 80s. I wish there were women support groups who i could go for support then It would have made a difference to me if someone would question assumptions about me, would challenge a negative statement made about me, would call out any inappropriate behavior towards me.....I cant change things that  happened to me but i can advocate and campaign for equality for other.. for other young women whose life i can make a difference..

Happy Women's Day


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Single or Married

Suspension of Reality